It is time to clean the fuel injectors of the vehicle! But you are looking for an easy way to do it, aren’t you? Then today, our discussion will be highly beneficial for you since we are going to tell you how to clean fuel injectors without removing them. So, stay with us until the end!
Why Should you Clean Fuel Injectors?
It is vital to clean the fuel injectors of your vehicle, so let’s see what the reason behind it. Fuel injectors are nozzles that provide fuel to the engine’s combustion chamber with high pressure. So, this is a key point to determine the fuel economy of your vehicle.
During the process of supplying fuel for the combustion chamber, fuel injectors have to face high pressure. The pressure of fuel injectors is controlled by the fuel pumps. However, to avoid any burn or other disturbances due to the high pressure, the fuel injectors should be well-cleaned and clear. Because if it is clogged, it directly affects the engine. And with time, the fuel injectors become filthy because of the dirt, wax and carbon-build ups. Especially if there is fuel left in the tips of the injectors, what happens is fuel permanently sticks in the tips. As a result, the injector can be clogged and does not spray the fuel with high pressure.
How do I Know If My Fuel Injectors are Clogged?
You can recognize the issue beforehand if you could notice these signs.
- If you can notice a sputter in the engine as you accelerate, it might indicate that the fuel injectors have been clogged partly. Because the fuel is not provided to the engine properly; as a result, the engine can sputter.
- Secondly, if you are experiencing poor fuel economy, clogged fuel injectors can be the reason. When the injectors are unable to spray fuel with high pressure, the engine does not run efficiently. Then, it can burn more fuel than the regular quantity.
- Next, sporadic needle on the vehicle’s tachometer is another clue of clogged fuel injectors. Due to the poor process of fuel injectors, RMPs can climb and drop; thus, the tachometer needle also goes up and down.
- Finally, the worst thing you can expect is a dead engine. If the situation has become serious, you will not be able to start the vehicle, or it will be so hard to start the vehicle.
Can you Clean Fuel Injectors Without Taking them Out?
Yes, you can clean them at home by yourself without taking them out. In order to do that, you will need the below-mentioned items. You should choose a fuel injector cleaning kit which compatible with your car’s model.
- Hose ( to make a connection between fuel injectors and fuel rail)
- Canister for fuel injector cleaning solvent ( to melt carbon buildups)
How to Clean Fuel Injectors Without Removing Them?
Below are the steps that you should follow in cleaning fuel injectors without removing them.
- Ready the cleaning kit, and first, you should find the place of the fuel rail. The place might vary from one vehicle to the other.
- Secondly, disconnect the fuel rail of your vehicle. Usually, there are two ways to do that, either by pressing the clips and taking them off or loosening the clamps. Therefore, it is better to keep the vehicle’s booklet with you when doing this task.
- Then if your car has come with a fuel regulator pressure line, you should disconnect it too. You can find it next to the injectors.
- Now take the cleaning kit and pour the solvent.
- Then, attach it to the hood of the car as it is placed above the engine.
- After that, you should adjoin the kit outlet pipe to the fuel rail that you disconnected.
- Remove the cover of the fuel tank, and now the cleaning kit sends the solvent into the injectors and removes all the debris and oil.
- Next, the fuel pump relay should be removed.
- You have to adjoin the cleaning kit and air compressor and set the correct PSI.
- Now start the car and let the solvent out from the cleaning kit.
- Adjoin the fuel rail hose and fuel pump relay.
- Finally, start the car to see whether the engine runs smoothly.
What is the Cheapest Way to Clean Fuel Injectors?
Indeed, the cheapest way to clean the fuel injectors is using a fuel injector cleaner. If you wish to go to a mechanic in order to do this task, you will get a pricy bill because normally, they do remove the injectors for cleaning. So you can buy a good quality fuel injector at a reasonable price. Then all you have to do is add the cleaner to your fuel tank to break any clogs. This method will be adequate if the injectors are not too unclean.
Can Fuel Injector Cleaner Damage Injectors?
There are a lot of fuel injector cleaners in the market. And you should always do a case study before buying and using it for the vehicle. The reason why these contain chemicals with different percentages and some of them may be harmful to the fuel injectors. You will get an unexpected result rather than cleaning it, so make sure to buy a certified product.
What Happens If you Don’t Get your Fuel Injectors Cleaned?
If you do not clean fuel injectors regularly, it causes trouble in the engine. Let’s clarify that domino chain! If the fuel injectors are clogged due to the carbon buildups, they are unable to supply a fine mist of fuel. Then the efficiency of the engine gets lowered, and you will have to experience poor fuel economy.
What’s more, it will be difficult to start your automobile because of the clogged fuel injectors. If you ignore cleaning them constantly, the engine will not work at all. Thus, it is vital to clean fuel injectors for smooth driving all the time. Please refer to the above-mentioned signs of faulty fuel injectors and identify if there is such an issue. In general, it is recommended to clean the fuel injectors every 15,000 miles.
More Like This: Check Out These Related Articles
- How to Clean Fuel Pressure Regulator?
- How Can You Save Fuel While Driving on Hills?
- Engine Bogs Down When Accelerating
My name is James, I work as an Automotive Designer with 9 years of experience. I also work as a mechanic and vehicle inspector. I love deciphering complicated car exteriors and interiors and resolving fluid and oil troubles. InstaMotoring.com is here to help you troubleshoot your car with dependable and expert help.